Port Washington’s 1860 Lighthouse and Light Station Museum
Restoration began in 2001 to restore the building as a history museum depicting the life of a keeper between 1860 and 1923, the active years of the lighthouse. Over the years contributions have helped to acquire a replica fourth order lens, new windows and doors and historic markers on the property. Restoration continues.
The historic 1852 Barnum Blake building as The Port Washington Historical Society Resource Center
Acquired in 2012 volunteers and contractors restored the 1852 Barnum Blake building over the next two years. One of the oldest in the community, the building has become the Resource Center for the Port Washington Historical Society housing collections, its archive and research center, offices and exhibits. It is staffed and maintained by volunteers.
The 1907 Henry & Hill building as The Port Exploreum
With a purchase of the Henry & Hill building, planning began in 2012, restoration in 2013 and 2014, and the creation of a museum in 2015. The result is a unique museum that repurposes a 1907 building in a meaningful and exciting manner: A museum that will become a focal point for the community.
2010 Wisconsin Historical Society Award for Maritime Heritage Festival Museum
In 2010 the Wisconsin Historical Society presented the Port Washington Historical Society with its annual museum award for the Society’s maritime museum. The maritime museum was a temporary museum created for the community’s Maritime Heritage Festival. It encompassed 3000 square feet of exhibits depicting aspects of a schooner, shipwreck, logging camp, the Wisconsin Chair Company and the 1860 Light Station. The Wisconsin Historical Society recognizes each year efforts to provide educational opportunities about local history.
WISN 2013 Most Liked Historical Spot Award for the 1860 Lighthouse and Light Station Museum
2014 Wisconsin Association of Historic Preservation Commissions Historic Preservation Excellence Award for the restoration of the Barnum Blake Building that serves as the Port Washington Historical Society Resource Center
The Wisconsin Historical Preservation Commission Excellence Award was awarded to the Port Washington Historical Society for its restoration of the 1852 Barnum Blake building. The award recognized efforts to restore the original features of the building: its tin ceiling, plaster walls, wood floors and 1910 exterior storefront. The Commissions promote the preservation of historic buildings and their impact on local communities.
Listing of Port Washington 1929 Fire House and 1860 Lighthouse on the State and National Historic Registers
Port Washington Chamber of Commerce 2014 Beautification Award for the Restoration of the 1852 Resource Center.
Publication of a book on the history of Port Washington
Establishment of historical markers in the community
Creation of three walking tours highlighting the city: Old Town Port Tour, Franklin Street Historic Walking Tour and The Historic City Center Tour
Creation of a walking tour of the Draft Riots of 1862.
The Draft Riots of 1862 and the men from Ozaukee County were remembered with presentations, music, and displays. Through research, the stories of these men were shared and honored. A walking tour of the 1862 event allows visitors to retrace its historic path and location.
Preservation and collection of extensive materials and records of significance to Port Washington’s history
Programming for the community, schools, and organizations